Christine Jiwon Ra is a multidisciplinary creative with a degree in Fashion Design and Fine Art from Parsons School of Design. As a citizen of South Korea, a permanent resident of Hong Kong, raised in England and Japan, and currently residing in New York, she takes an introspective and soulful approach to making cross-cultural references in her artwork. Her designs are rooted in critical thinking and redefining the traditional codes of dress through challenging the infrastructures that are entrenched in waste and inefficiency. Through linking her innovative textile experimentations with her unique cultural perspective, she continues to push the boundary between fashion design and academic discourse.
Parsons School of Design, BFA - Fashion Design, Fine Art
PRESS • CLIENTS
GRAZIA Bulgaria Magazine, South China Morning Post (SCMP), Flanelle Magazine, PAP Magazine, Mob Journal, BeyondAll Magazine, Hashtag Legend Magazine, Self China Magazine, Institute Magazine, Primavera Issue Clash Magazine, NEXT HK Magazine, HYFE Magazine, Next One Ketchup Magazine, Vogue Italia, Ethical Fashion Magazine, Original Magazine, SHK Private x Hermès Show, The Bold Concept, Netta, Somewhere x Nowhere, RVCA, Odbo Online, Siberia Hills, Saks Off Fifth, Clairol, Jenny Yoo Collection, Derek Lam, DKNY, Oscar de La Renta, LoveShackFancy, LAPOINTE, Art To Ware, Carlisle Collection
EVENTS • COMPETITIONS • EXHIBITIONS
2021 | Metropolis in Stitches: Goodwill Evening of Treasures “Be Seen” Auction and Gala, Winner of the Parsons x Goodwill Design Competition, New York, NY
2021 | La Nuit De L'Art festival VOL 09: REBOND by Tanthem, Ephemeral Gallery, NY
2021 | CHASHAMA Gallery x 'Art To Ware', NY
2021 | Orenda Art Works
2021 | 11th Annual "CityScapes", Light Space & Time Art Gallery
2021 | 'Urban Sprawl': ArtisTTable's "Art in the Time of Corona"
2021 | Art Show: Grey Cube Gallery
2019 | Columbia University's Annual Korean Association Fashion Show, New York, NY
2019 | Split Ends: Hairrari, New York, NY
2018 | Stalls Art Gallery, Glyndebourne Tour Art, England, UK
2017 | Head Stage Designer and Fashion Designer for Charity Fashion Show, "The Innovation", HK
2017 | Designer for Charity Fashion Show "Couture", HK
2016 | Charity Fashion Shows "The Innovation" and "Panache", HK
2015 | Charity Fashion Show "The Innovation", HK
2014 | Charity Fashion Show "Aura", HK
2013 | Charity Fashion Show "Verve", HK
CARLISLE COLLECTION (New York)
Fashion Design: Carlisle & Per Se Collection
• Designer for Spring, Summer and Fall 2022 Carlisle Collection, Per Se Collection and the Essentials Collection (which all had 125 styles each) working closely with the Creative Director and Technical Designers in all aspects of developing the lines, including creating digital sketches/technical flats using Adobe Illustrator, updating the line plan using Adobe Indesign and managing tech packs with WFXONDEMAND.COM - a Product Lifecycle Management Software.
• Absorbed responsibilities of Trim and Fabric Department for all styles, embroideries or development, corresponding closely with overseas and local vendors/sample rooms to develop & keep detailed records on belt and button prototypes, embroideries for each season.
• Responsible for distributing and maintaining seasonal color library, maintaining fabric and swatch library.
• Attended all fittings, weekly Line in Process meetings, monthly merchandising meetings, preview meetings, EB meetings
ART TO WARE (New York)
Visual Merchandising, Fashion Design - Start Up Company
• ‘Art gallery-meets-retail’ pop up space awarded by Chashama (a New York based non-profit).
• Solely responsible for designing the interior & exterior, and building out empty 3000 SQF space from scratch with a limited budget, opening 4 different stores in Greenwich, Chelsea, Port Authority and the Oculus in NYC.
• Transformed into a unique and dynamic store that offers fashion books, flowers, sculptures and wearable art/jewelry.
• Curated a series of circular fashion collaborations available exclusively at the store, partnering with NUULY (a subscription clothing rental brand) to give new life to 300 units of damaged garments.
• Designed my own collection exclusive to the store, upcycling NUULY garments to create a line of one-of-a-kind, hand dyed pieces that incorporate wire and ceramic buttons. As a consigned artist, my wearable artwork are also on display throughout the store.
LAPOINTE (New York)
Public Relations & Content Creation
• Responsible for sample call-backs (first thing in the AM), checking availability of sample requests, making sample loan sheets in Fashion GPS and general sample trafficking, scheduling messengers/shipments using Quik Trak
• Social Media, tagging/categorizing user generated content through IG tracker Dash Hudson, clipping Digital/Print Credits
• Assisting with maintaining press contact lists and research projects as requested by the PR team
LOVESHACKFANCY (New York)
• Supported the Design team with a hybrid layout of remote and in-person office work due to COVID-19 restrictions, utilizing verbal and written communication skills through digital programs such as Microsoft 365 (Outlook, Sharepoint, Teams) for daily communication
• Contributed to product development process using Adobe Photoshop to make and meticulously organize CADs with sketches and prints
• Attended key meetings to understand the creative process of developing product
• Assisted with the preparation of presentation concept boards and tableaus, organizing design archives and other duties, as required, to support the needs of the respective Design team
COLLINA STRADA (New York)
• Design work for Collina Strada’s Pre-Fall 2021 Collection shoot: an interactive video game with 3D scanned models as characters
• Pattern making, sewing & customizing accessories and shoes. Hand ironing self-adhesive rhinestones onto lace jumpsuits, wrapping and gluing silk fabric over rubber slippers to be used for the digital presentation.
OSCAR DE LA RENTA (New York)
• Assisting pattern makers, cutters and in-house sewers for the Spring and Fall 2021 runway collections
• Responsible for copying & cutting patterns, hand sewing, machine sewing, embroidering and assisting in the daily operations
DONNA KARAN NEW YORK (DKNY)
• Supported the Senior Designer in designing both womenswear and menswear Spring, Summer, Holiday 2020 collections
• Given responsibility to design an exclusive dress & shirt line for Summer 2020
• Drawing digital flats and CADS for new styles, creating and updating tech packs, organizing and maintaining showroom, participated in team presentations, meetings, fittings, style-outs, fabric development meetings, market research, attending textile and print shows.
• Responsible for researching the new DKNY Fall 2020 Denim line and coordinating new DKNY’s rebranding strategy with it.
DEREK LAM 10 CROSBY (New York)
• Constructed all the accessories for the look books, organizing and maintaining fitting supplies and model fit room, helping fix samples as needed when they come in for market and look book, helping on styling and shoot days
• Assisting on daily tasks that include: creating and updating flats on Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, creating layout options on flats with prints and colors, photoshop mockups
• Sewing swatch trials, fabric manipulations, stitch trials, embroidery development
JENNY YOO COLLECTION (New York)
Bridal Wear Design
• Researching trends and colors, sourcing fabrics and trims, communicating and developing relationships with fabric vendors and factories, ideating fabric samples, ordering, receiving, and keeping record of development fabrics
• Assisting in creating and maintaining mood and style development boards, beading, hand sewing